Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Where did it all go wrong?



The Bears were coming off one of their best seasons in history. Everyone was returning, the offense was supposed to be improved and the defense was supposed to be just as nasty as it had been when it led them to a Superbowl. So what happened?

First of all, let me preface this by saying that this is the most disappointed I have been by a Bears team in a long time. I had huge expectations for them this year, first time I've really had expectations like this. So, let me breakdown on what I think happened.

  1. Rex Grossman didn't grow into the QB that we all had hoped for. After his Nuclear start to 2006, everyone thought we finally found our QB. Then, he started turning in stinker after stinker....with a few decent games sprinkled in. It was okay that he wasn't that great because we had a scoring defense and Devin Hester to help cover up how Rex was playing. Instead of an open competition for QB this year, Rex was given the reigns, and stunk it up again. He was finally benched after the 3rd game of the year for Brian Greise.
  2. Thomas Jones was traded to make room for Cedric Benson. Personally, I think Benson will start picking it up, but so far this move hasn't panned out. Not that TJ is doing anything special in NY. The O-Line has been horrible, many times Benson is being hit right as he gets the ball. With that said, there are also many runs that end to soon because he couldn't break a tackle. He is being questioned big time, and I think he'll start responding soon.
  3. The Defense. To me, this is the biggest disappointment. Everyone had questions or reservations about the offense, but this D was supposed to be the best in the NFL. Well, they aren't even top 15 or 20 right now. We have so many problems it makes my stomach turn, but here are the biggest ones:
  • Adam Archuleta. I wasn't too fond of signing him, and he has proved me right. He can't cover, he misses tackles, bounces off of people and finally got benched for a 7th round draft pick
  • Danieal Manning. He's been moved around from FS, to SS, to CB, and honestly I just think the kid is confused. He's a gifted athlete, but never really had the chance to play and learn one position. Right now, he is lost.
  • Mike Brown. Yet another season ending injury. This guy is the heart and soul of this defense, not Urlacher. When he is out, it kills us. He's a leader out there, and our secondary always looks lost when he is on the sideline.
  • Nathan Vasher. Out with a groin injury for the past three weeks, and maybe a couple more. We don't have good depth here, and it's showing.
  • Tackling. I know the coaches emphasize trying to strip the ball, but I lost count at how many of our players missed tackles. Tackling is essential, even above creating turnovers.

Can this year be fixed? I fully believe we can still make the playoffs, but the NFC Central is the Packers to lose. If we can fix our defense, start tackling, and get some players back we could still end the season with a 9-7 record and earn a wild-card birth into the playoffs. Greise and Benson are good enough as long as the defense starts showing up. Allowing 35 4th quarter points in one game is shameful, same as allowing a rookie RB to run for almost 200 yards and 3 TD's on you. This isn't the Bears defense that I know and love, and I sure hope the players recognize that as well. Show some heart boys, it's not too late to turn it around.

No comments: