Tuesday, June 5, 2007



I’ve been a baseball fan for a long time, and I long for the game how it used to be: The smell of the fresh cut grass, talking to the players as they come out of the dugout, eating dogs, getting cotton candy, etc. Watching two teams play a game they love for three hours hoping to come out with at least 1 more run than the other team. I went to my first game when I was almost 5 (just a few days before my birthday), it was the White Sox hosting the Yankees. I remember thinking Chet Lemon was my favorite player because he had to be awesome with a name like that! When I think back about that game, I don’t really remember that much about the game itself. I don’t remember all the outs, hits, or runs scored. I do vividly remember looking at the field, the crowd noise, the seat I was in, the food I ate……and my Dad yelling “That was a stupid call”, when he didn’t agree with the umpire.

It was so innocent and fresh then. There were no steroid scandals or other player scandals tarnishing the game. I consider myself to be a big fan of baseball, even through the strike years (Sox could have won it all in ’94) and the scandals. I have this insane little habit of remembering very obscure numbers, that when I repeat them, usually nets me an odd look. I mean come on, isn’t it important to know that while winning his second MVP award in 1994, Frank Thomas had an On Base Percentage of .487? Just think about that, he almost made it to base every other time he went to bat. Unbelievable.

Anyway, this year is going to be a special year for baseball. The numbers that will be reached, the plateaus that will be achieved is remarkable. Here is a list of some of the numbers that are being approached and could be reached this year:

Home Runs:

Barry Bonds – Approaching Aaron’s 755 HR Mark
Sammy Sosa – 600
Frank Thomas – 500
Jim Thome – 500
Manny Ramirez – 500
Alex Rodriguez – 500
Gary Sheffield – 500
Hits:
Craig Biggio - 3,000

Pitching:

Trevor Hoffman – 500 saves
Tom Glavine – 300 wins

Misc:
Kenny Lofton – 600 SB’s

Now, I understand that with the steroid controversy has put doubt in the minds of everyone as these numbers are reached. The truth is, we will never understand the full effect that steroids have had on the game. Did it cause more homeruns? Did it cause more strikeouts? Did it cause more injuries? Who did them, and who didn’t? Did Pitchers or Hitters benefit more?

Now, I don’t want to turn a blind eye to this, but I am ready to move on. This is going to be a big year in baseball and I want to enjoy it. I want to watch the games with my kids, I want to take them to the games and let them enjoy it. I want them to know some worthless information about their favorite player and what he accomplished. Most of all, I want us all to have fun with baseball again. So I hope that people can decide to go to a game, take your family, and enjoy the time you get to spend, and maybe you’ll catch a little history.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Biggio down in Houston, struggling to get to 3000 hits!

Bill said...

Ah yes, Biggio is getting close, I will add that.

Thanks!

Bob said...

nicely done HT. I agree...it's a special year for baseball, regardless of the steroid scandal. Don't get me wrong, I could do without Bonds breaking the record....but the rest of those things will be great.