Wednesday, June 13, 2007

You can't touch this

So far in this great baseball season we have witnessed two no-hitters. One by my boy Mark Buerhle on April 18th versus the Texas Rangers. The only man to get on base was Sammy Sosa via a walk. Here are some takes from the game:


"I probably was more nervous coming out of the eighth [inning] and going back to the ninth with the crowd going crazy," Buehrle said. "I could feel my knees shaking."

Buehrle said it was his first no-hitter at any level—"I pitched maybe two innings of a seven-inning one in high school"—and the first by a White Sox pitcher since Wilson Alvarez beat Baltimore 7-0 on Aug. 11, 1991.

"His stuff was the best I've seen in two years," catcher A.J. Pierzynski said.

Buehrle's no-hitter was the Sox's first at home since Joel Horlen beat Detroit 6-0 on Sept. 10, 1967. The last American League no-hitter occurred on April 27, 2002, when Boston's Derek Lowe beat Tampa Bay.

Buehrle, 28, struck out eight, including a called third strike on Matt Kata to start the ninth inning. He threw 66 of his 105 pitches for strikes.

Yes, Buerhle was a man on a mission in this game. And as the Sox continue to fall back in the Central, this game may be their defining moment for the 2007 season. Buerhle has always been a great guy off and on the field. During rain delays, he would come out and entertain the crowd by doing slides on the tarp. This however, has been outlawed by Management....but it was fun to watch.

Then we has Curt Shilling who had a no-hitter going with two outs in the 8th and then Shannon Stewart came up to the plate.

"We get two outs, and I was sure, and I had a plan, and I shook Tek off," Schilling said. "And I get a big 'What if?' for the rest of my life."


I can't believe he shook of his catcher, but I guess that is something he will think about for the rest of his life. He came so close, one out away, one pitch away from the elusive no-hitter.

Then last night, Jun 12, we have Justin Verlander who no-hit the Brewers. Verlander was ROY last year, and everyone was wondering if he would have a sophmore slump...well, he'll take a slump if that means pitching a no hitter. He was almost untouchable.

"It was the best thing that ever happened to me," he said.

The 2006 AL Rookie of the Year came back with the game of his career, striking out 12. He benefited from several stellar defensive plays, the best by Neifi Perez, who turned a possible single up the middle in the eighth into an inning-ending double play.

Not quoted there was a nice sliding grab by Ordonez in right field. Also, Verlander was still throwing over 102 MPH in the 9th inning...unbelievable.

Just goes to show you that we still have a lot be proud and happy with in baseball. So with all the milestones being reached this year we already have two no-hitters and one almost no-hitter....and we aren't even to the All-Star Break.

Can you feel the excitement?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course you have to bring up the no-hitter against my Rangers. Great! It is not like they winning or anything.

Bill said...

Yeah, I was thinking of you toward the end of that game. To be fair, maybe next time I'll post the link of Nolan Ryan giving Robin Ventura a lesson charging the mound. That's what always comes to my mind when the Sox and Rangers play....

Unknown said...

That is one of my favorite sports moments of all times. LOL.