Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Iguchi for who?



The Sox traded Iguchi earlier this week for little known Minor League pitcher Micheal Dubee. Dubee was 4-4 with one save and an ERA around 4 in the Class A division for the Phillies. My first thought was, who? I haven't ever heard of this kid, but who knows, maybe he is a gem that just needs a little polish? But, isn't Iguchi worth more than that? Iguchi has been a solid contributor ever since coming over from Japan. I know Kenny keeps working the phones and that he most likely isn't done, I guess I just expected more from the Gooch.


Now, many teams needed a 2nd baseman: Mets, Phillies, Dodgers, and others. But two things that comes to mind when I wonder why Kenny made this deal:


  1. He had Danny Richar, who he desperatly wanted to play on the big league team for the rest of the year. The kid has good potential, and now has a chance to show it.
  2. Remember the Freddy Garcia deal? After just a few starts, Garcia went down for the year. Now, the Phillies said he passed all the physicals and they have no ill-feelings toward the Sox, but part of me can't help but think that this was a little "sorry" from Kenny Williams to the Phillies. Neither team would ever admit it, but Kenny was just trying to make up for sending them a guy that got lost for the year.

I guess that could be the case, but we'll never know. Who knows, maybe this Dubee kid will become an integral part of our bullpen in the near future. Or maybe Kenny just helped himself stay in the good graces of the GM nation by giving the Phillies a fill in for Chase Utley.

I'm sure there will be more moves for my Sox, hopefully it will be a busy afternoon.

No comments: