Monday, July 23, 2007

Role Models in Sports

I've been out of town for the last week, so I haven't had time to write much. Hopefully, I'll be able to post a lot more of my wandering thoughts from now on....to my latest thoughts:

I've heard a lot over the last few weeks and months about Sports players being role models for our youth. Heck, when I was growing up I wanted to be as good as Walter Payton, Ken Griffey JR, Frank Thomas, Jerry Rice, or Michael Jordan. I started thinking about how sad it is that our sports these days are mired in controversy. Where do I begin?

  1. Micheal Vick's dogfighting situation
  2. Pacman Jones various arrests and suits.
  3. Tank Johnson's arrests and suspension
  4. NBA Referee Tim Donaghy bets on games he called and has ties with the mob
  5. Steroids in baseball

I could go on and on, but my stomach is starting to turn as it is.

When I first heard on the radio that these guys are being bad role models for our youth, I agreed. But then I started thinking about it; Should a prefessional athlete's be our children's role models? After a little thinking, I realized that statement is completely wrong. Sure, it's okay to want to hit the ball as hard as Barry Bonds, run as fast as Devin Hester, and catch as good as Jerry Rice, but that doesn't make them a role model. As parents, WE need to be the role models. WE need to teach our children the difference between wrong and right, not leave that up to an athlete. Sure, we probably can't play sports as good as their favorite athlete can, but we have a much more important job, we are their parent. It's not always an easy job being a parent, but it is easily the most rewarding job we could ever have. I know I won't ever be the athlete that my children watch on Television, but I also understand that I have more responsibility than that athlete does.

No comments: